Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chinese Herb Duck Soup

As the days have gotten colder, I have been craving my mother's Chinese Herb Duck Soup. The slightly bitter taste is addictive and honestly, cures everything. The problem was, I knew what it was called in Chinese ("Dong Quai") but couldn't find it. Finally, I just went through the entire dried herb aisle smelling every bag. The english name is "Angelica sinensis diels". I had my dong quai, duck bones (breasts removed for ragu and legs, wings and thighs for confit) and was ready to go.

Ingredients:
- Duck bones
- 2 pieces of dried dong quai
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup rice wine

In large stock pot, add all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Skim off any frothy pieces that rise to the top. Lower heat and simmer for at least an hour. Enjoy with some white pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment