Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How Not to Conduct an Experiment

The illness that felled both my mother and then my sister finally took root in my sinuses. I had tried to fight it with daily Claritin (it's my "windex" and I stand by my panacea) and twice daily nasal and throat saline rinses. The pressure began to build up in my head so I added ibuprofen and zyrtec at night. I also bought Zicam nose gel and Robitussin DM. I felt like crap, my nose was runny and a lot of post nasal drip was taking up residence in my throat. I remembered that I had some Amoxicillin in my medicine box from a previous sinus infection. I dug it out and saw that it was for last year...but took them anyway (a quick Google search shows that I should not take old antibiotics - whoops).

So, I actually felt better today. Much less congested albeit a little fuzzy in the head and tired. I really don't know if it was the Claritin day/ Zyrtec night combo, the nasal and throat rinses, the nose gel and Robitussin, or the expired antibiotics. It could also be a calmer social schedule and more sleep at night.

I have the Flonase and V-Pack that my doctor prescribed today. While I'd like to know what did the trick, I guess I'll have to wait for the next bout of sinusitis to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment