Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fong Ji

I was thinking recently how lucky I was to have grown up eating really yummy food. You already know how much I love my mom's cooking. Dad's food was good, too, although there were some hilarious misses (e.g., that bony fish marinated in tequila or the radish cake that never really solidified). One of my all time favorite Thanksgiving meals was one where dad made Fong Ji (literally "wind chicken" with glutinous rice and Chinese sausage stuffing). Which reminds me, I need the recipe for that stuffing...

Preparation for Fong Ji includes dry-aging the chicken. Although it was grotesque, I would get excited when Dad would hang a chicken off the gutter by the kitchen (in the winter, of course). To avoid offending the neighbors and patrons of the strip mall as well the inconsistent temperatures outside, I put a drying rack over a cookie sheet and place the contraption plus chicken in the bottom shelf of the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Fong Ji:
- 1.5 lbs of chicken pieces (we used chicken thighs)
- 1/8 cup table salt or fleur de sel (I used coarse kosher salt and it was too salty)
- 1/4 cup Black peppercorns
- Chinese rice wine
- White pepper powder to taste

Day (or few days) before, wash and dry chicken. In wok or pan, lightly toast salt and peppercorns to release flavor. Sprinkle salt and peppercorns on chicken with some cracked black pepper and set on drying rack. Place drying rack over cookie sheet and put on the lowest shelf in the refrigerator to age for at least 24 hours.

Set up steamer (I added salt and rice wine to the water). My steamer is small so I steamed 3 pieces at a time for 30 minutes, turning them at the 15 minute mark. I cracked some more pepper and sprinkled some white pepper powder on the chicken before serving with pickled mustard stems (homemade by M's grandmother) and white rice.

Dad's email (precious):
"FoungChi
Salt and pepper seed (some small amount of other flavor) stir fry until strong smell come out.
apply salt and paper inside and outside of the whole chicken.
Let dry for couple days-so it is better do it in the winter(keep in the refrig in the summer)
steam the whole chicken.
be careful do not apply too much salt.
More peper seed is OK, amount -about 60% of a rice bowl.
good luck"

No comments:

Post a Comment