Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mom's Steamed Egg Custard

It's cold. I want comfort food. Namely, mom's home cooking. I decided to replicate another favorite dish - her steamed egg custard. It's kind of like Japanese Chawanmushi (a dish I regularly order at Sakagura and squeal when I get as a panchan in Korean restaurants), but way simpler.

Mom's Steamed Egg Custard

- handful of shitake mushrooms, cut in small pieces with stems removed
- 3 stalks green scallion, finely cut
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp
- 3 large eggs
-1 cup water (or Asian chicken or seafood stock)...good thing I made stock today!

Heat canola oil in wok and add scallions, mushroom, sesame oil, salt, shrimp and fry for 3-5 minutes. Find a bowl that will fit in the steamer or stock pot and add the fried ingredients and water or stock (enough to fill 3/4 of bowl) to make a "soup". Scramble 3 eggs and slowly stir in soup. Place bowl in steamer/ stock pot and steam for "just a little bit!" For me, that was 15 minutes until the egg was light and puffy and a skewer comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment