Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Conversations with the Garbage Man

In the beginning of summer there was a rash of trash room transgressions - people were just filling the room with furniture and appliances, not sorting their garbage or recycling, etc. I noticed that our garbage man had to manually remove the garbage because it blocked the chutes and sort the bags of garbage. I felt bad for him and...

[these take place over the course of the summer]

Conversation 1:
Me: Thank you for your hard work.
GM: [smile]

Conversation 2:
GM: You live with your sister?
Me: No. [walking quickly away]

Conversation 3:
GM: You Chinese?
Me: Um, yeah. [I really didn't feel like going into being Taiwanese American]

Conversation 4:
GM: You like Jackie Chan?
Me: Um, sure.
GM: You like Jett Li?

Conversation 5:
GM: Your dog has big eyes.
Me: Yes, she does.
GM: Yenjing is Chinese for big eyes.

Conversation 6:
GM: You go to university?
Me: No, I work.
GM: Lots of Chinese go to University?
Me: I don't know. I'm AMERICAN.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment