Monday, September 6, 2010

M Eats Kale

I've been a bit bored with food. I haven't been inspired to make anything and nothing has tasted good. I've been seeing a lot of articles about how healthy kale is and I've been craving the kale ceviche that Michelle served many years ago. It was unbelievably easy to make and so good. I was scared to serve it to M because she is not a fan of vegetables but believe it or not, she LOVED it. She ate raw kale! If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is.

Paul and Natalie's Kale Ceviche
1. Chop a bunch of raw kale and some kind of young onions (scallions,
...scapes, baby leeks all do great) as finely as possible, put in a bowl.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and as much sea salt as you like - I like a
salty salad, plus, remember that the salt will "cook" the kale,
breaking it down and making it tastier.
3. Squeeze the juice of half a medium sized lemon (or more) over the
kale, adding the pulp of the fruit if you please. (I please.) Pluck
out any seeds! Now before it's too late!
4. Mash the kale and onions with a potato masher or the back of a fork
so that it can draw in the lemon, salt and olive oil.
5. Season with fresh ground pepper, and/ or if you like things spicy, cayenne.
6. At this point I like to embellish, adding (if I have them) chunks
of avocado, also, roasted pumpkin seeds (not raw but, you know,
whatever). Do what you like.
4. Eat, enjoy, feel supremely healthy because, as our friend Natalie
says, "C'mon, you're eating RAW KALE."

No comments:

Post a Comment