Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Urban Winter Survival Gear

It just so happens that I have finally discovered my winter all stars before one of the worst winters the northeast has ever experienced. After testing them out, I'm very pleased to say that I am warm and toasty no matter what Mother Nature throws at me.

1. Canada Goose Mystique Parka (http://www.canada-goose.com/): I have gone through nearly 10 full-length down coats from Land's End through Patagonia. They were only warm when sitting in a car - heaven forbid there was any wind. It was the Patagonia Down With It Parka that pushed me over the edge. For all the good reviews and the price, I was sure this coat would be the one. Not even close. I returned it the next day. M and I went to Hudson Trail Outfitters and had an amazing salesperson that agreed that down coats were pretty much just for fashion and that the key to staying warm is a windproof shell. Canada Goose combines a down layer (with a second layer to make sure you aren't covered in feathers like the Land's End Commuter coat) with a completely wind and rain proof outer shell. The deep outer pockets are at the perfect position and lined with snuggly fleece. The sleeves are ribbed at the wrist so there is no chance any wind comes up the arms. The other great thing is that the hood is perfectly constructed and stays on your head regardless of the winds whipping around you. Canada Goose is renown for creating outerware to survive the Arctic. Rebecca Romjin Stamos requested a coat be made for her during the filming of X-men. The Mystique Parka is what they created and it will keep me warm and snuggly for years to come.

2. UGGs/ La Canadienne/ Merrell: There is nothing worse than cold, wet feet and shoes ruined by salt and puddles. UGGs saved my life during my long commutes from NJ to midtown (I would change into flats that I kept in my cube). They are so warm and comfortable and if you treat them with a water-resistant spray and you don't go puddle jumping, they'll keep your feet dry as well. For those of you who just can't succumb to wearing UGGs, I adore my La Canadienne and Merrell boots. My rule for precipitation is skirt and La Canadienne boots because pants always get wet. Again, the Canadians know how to survive winters. La Canadiennes are waterproof, insulated, comfortable and pretty cute. Another plus for me is that they are the right shaft height and circumference for my bird legs (they come in a wide range of heights and circumferences). For days that I wear pants, I really like my new Merrell Tetra Catch waterproof booties. They are as comfortable as sneakers and insulated.

3. Northface gloves and hat: To me, Northface creates more "fashion" wear than clothes to actually survive a winter but their accessories are not bad. My Northface knit cap is perfectly shaped and has a layer of fleece around the edge. My gloves are fleece and yet surprisingly windproof.

4. Hot Chilly's/ Plush Tights/ Silk Baselayers: I didn't know about baselayers until I decided to learn how to snowboard. For snowboarding and staying warm on the weekends, I rely on Hot Chilly's baselayers (http://www.hotchillys.com/). They come in a range of warmth levels and are cut really well for women (I find most baselayer pants come up past my belly). Silk baselayers work very well under work clothes and aren't too hot when you are working inside (http://www.wintersilks.com/). And for those skirt days, I LOVE the fleece lined tights by Plush!

No comments:

Post a Comment