Monday, January 19, 2009

*Fishtail by David Burke with D & M

To kick off Restaurant Week, I got us a reservation for David Burke's new restaurant, Fishtail. The waiter informed us that Restuarant Week didn't start until the day after (oh, really?) but they had a $20.09 3 course prix fixe menu. Bring it!

I love the Koi design on the website and inside on the menu, chairs and mirrors. I had wanted some Asian influence and it was certainly apparent in some of the dishes. We shared a Crispy Asian Lobster Cocktail which really was ginger scallion lobster. Not a cocktail but certainly my favorite way to eat lobster. We had different appetizers: D had a scallop corn chowder ("the scallops were really great but I didn't like the cilantro and peppers"), M had Laughing Bird Shrimp Sea Urchin Risotto that came in a sea urchin shell ("I couldn't taste the sea urchin, but it was yummy nonetheless."). I thought the risotto was amazing but couldn't eat more than a tiny spoonful due to the dairy. My calamari and oyster tempura was fantastic - I mean, deep fried breaded seafood. I couldn't ask for anything more.
We all had the mussels frites which D loved due to the cherry tomatoes and peas. M, "I thought mussels frites were going to be fried." She was disappointed. I thought it was well done but I was very full and kind of tipsy from the glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

I think that David Burke's pastry chef is unreliable because the pear tart at Fishtail became the pinapple tart (D: "It was eh, I didn't like the ginger ice cream") and there was a cake replacement when I was at Townhouse that was not good as well. M got a passionfruit creme brule (M: "I hate passionfruit but I hated pinapple even more."). I told the waiter I was lactose and he gave me the donuts and hot chocolote with rasberry sorbet instead of the hot chocolate. It was very cute but I was so full by the time it got to the table. Normally, M and I force ourselves to eat everything on our plates but we did a good job of stopping ourselves when we got full.
AND they gave us mini blueberry cake and coconut truffles at the end!
I liked it. There were a LOT of staff so things moved quickly and efficiently. The interiors are always classy and whimsical. The food is well prepared, inventive and interesting. I think I'd like to try the Lobster Wonton Soup, Soft Shell Snails, and Crispy Artichokes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment