Friday, December 26, 2008

System: TV for People Who Don't Have Time to Watch TV

Not since college have I carved out specific times to watch a certain television program (back then it was ER on Thursday nights). Sometimes, I'll sit with Doris when I come home from work and catch a bit of her shows and chat with her (surprisingly, I'm up to date on The Office, 30 Rock and Chuck thanks to her). But, for other shows, I'm woefully behind (e.g., Grey's Anatomy) and didn't know where to turn. Do I sign up to get shows on my phone like my co-worker (increase to my phone bill is not attractive plus my phone is always dying)? Do I get shows on DVD from Netflix (cut my Netflix account to reduce bills plus I don't have TV time)? Do I buy a season pass on iTunes and download it to my iPod ($60 for 30 Rock?!?!?!)? Do I just watch on my Blackberry (not going to happen on the molto larghissimo Edge network)? When will I get 3G??!?!?!

I ended up catching season finale re-runs over the weekend (Top Chef) and watching TV shows on
www.hulu.com (only 45 seconds of commercials and better quality than youtube.com). Doris says, "welcome to the 21st century, where have you been?"

While I'm bummed about the ridiculous price of downloading shows to my iPod, I'm really excited about the free podcasts out there. Plus, they are perfect for people with short attention spans. Currently, I'm downloading:
- Business Week Cover Stories
- Cook's Illustrated Video Podcasts (SO AWESOME! I learned how to cook thick cut steaks)
- Daily Dish
- Front Page of the NYTimes
- MTV News
- PodRunner (another great podcast - new 1 hour music mix with steady BPM)
- Stuff You Missed in History Class
- The Economist
- The Nutrition Diva
- This Week in Barron's
- VH1 Best Week Ever
- The Wall Street Journal This Morning
- The Wall Street Journal What's News

No comments:

Post a Comment