Friday, February 27, 2009

Bolt Bus

As much as I love Amtrak, I just could not justify $263 to visit M this weekend. There was a flight special for $140 round trip but I'd have to fly Saturday morning and return on Monday morning and I think the last thing M wanted to do was take me to the airport at 4 AM on a Monday morning.

Passenger-wise, this was a great trip. The whole bus was practically asleep. Probably because the guy behind me was trying to impress his seat mate with his extensive knowledge of computer science. She was a computer science major but I imagine a first year because she had no idea of what he was talking about. That put us all in a deep sleep. Plus, internet was spotty. That or someone was hogging bandwidth.

I had phone calls to make but I'm more and more loathe to talk on a bus due to other people listening to my biz-natch. I went low tech and read my sushi book which I am LOVING. We follow a class of students in sushi school and flash back to history, culture, science - the chemicals that make fish fishy! The chemicals that make the fish taste good. The amino acids and all that good stuff.

And then I started to get motion sick.

So I put the book away and pulled out the iPod. Despite her valley girl from the south accent, I'm enjoying the "How Stuff Works" podcasts. Today I learned about knights. And then George Michael kept me company for the rest of the way. I've fallen in love again with the timely "Praying for Time", disturbingly sexy "Father Figure", and anguished "One More Try". How people did not pick up on his homosexuality - he calls his lover "teacher" and uses gender neutral language - is beyond me. M says, "jean shorts and tank top with Wham! written across, 'nuff said."

We are taking the weirdest route to DC - it is the exact route I take to Bowie. Similar to my other Bolt Bus experiences, we had an accident before we even left the city. The driver has proceeded to talk on the phone without a headset, besides being really dangerous, doesn't her arm get really sore? I think she's taking us to her friend's house to pick something up. I just can't wait to get off this bus. Oh, right, I'm taking the Bolt Bus back to NY on Sunday. 10 points for hitting a pedestrian, 5 more points if they are using a walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment