Sunday, February 8, 2009

4 Years and Still Going Strong


After being lazy and getting my hair cut near my office at lunch - I'm sorry, I promise I won't betray you again - I went back to Charlie whose salon is just down the street from my house (in warm weather, I run to and from my appointment). And it was good to get back together again.

He isn't your typical stylist. There's no small talk, no how was your day. I say "trim", he nods and we are silent for the next 30-40 minutes. He shuts out the world and no one, not the phone ringing, the other stylists, or crying children, distract him from the task at hand. I let him cut my hair the way he wants. He straight irons it first and then goes to town with scissors - no razors. At the end, it is layered perfectly, light, smooth and gorgeous. Sometimes, I wonder if he gives this exact haircut to hundreds of other customers. Despite his reticence and general marble-like demeanor, he did crack a smile when I told him that it has been 4 years and I wanted a picture with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment