Saturday, April 11, 2009

*Hank's Oyster Bar & M

I love quaint old little towns with boutiques and yummy restaurants. I always get the best meals (e.g., Fredericksburg, New Hope, Nyack). The knives I snagged on Craigslist were in Alexandria and I did a search for restaurants in that area for dinner. Hank's Oyster Bar got really good reviews on yelp. And I don't say no to oysters.

Old town Alexandria is ADORABLE. M somehow plans things where we arrive at places AFTER stores have closed. 6:30 was a perfect time because the dinner crowd had not arrived yet and we were able to snag free street parking. Our menu negotiations make me laugh because M would want to know if we could have both of something or if she'd have to give something up.

We got a dozen oysters and the clear winners were the little guys that you see at 9 o'clock on the platter. The Kushi's from British Columbia appear small but have a deep shell, perfectly portioned meat and a crisp, briny not too salty clean flavor. Blue Point (NY) came in second. And as you know, M and I love all things deep fried. Buttermilk onion rings and cornmeal and beer battered soft shell crabs. M said the ceviche was nothing compared to the one we had in LA with V. I had to send the collard greens back because they were cloyingly sweet and pickeled tasting. Hey, at least I tried to get in some vegetables.

We took a walk and stared at the antiques in the windows. I love hearing what M loves and hates. There were still Christmas lights sparkling and it was a comfortable night as we walked arm and arm. Perfect.





No comments:

Post a Comment