Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rise...and Fall

I was in a serious culinary zone yesterday. Everything came out great: M's sausage and egg on an English muffin, chicken over rice with Cantonese ginger scallion sauce, stir fried green beans and the towering masterpiece you see before you - steamed flounder with ginger and scallion. I've been craving this dish for years - mom used to make it. The recipe is quite simple: marinate flounder in soy sauce, rice wine and julienned ginger. Put on plate with ginger and a little sauce. Steam for 5 minutes. Remove from sauce and top with fresh julienned scallion. Heat vegetable oil and pour on top.

The incredibly difficult part was the make shift steamer I concocted. How I did not sustain any injuries is a miracle. And it was so delicious. Exactly what I had been craving.

So, today, it all went downhill. M's tomato, egg white and Canadian bacon sandwich was a flop and she ended up with tomato on her sweater. I burned my egg white, toast and tomatoes as well as the sausages. And my cupcakes were undercooked and I'm not a fan of the mix. It was too sweet and had a weird grainy consistency. And it is only 10 AM. I really hope my cooking improves the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment