Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lump - Chapter 2

I saw Dr. Q this morning and got a script for a mammogram and ultrasound. She didn't say much about it except that the reason for the mammogram and ultrasound was that I had found a nodule (there are really 2). I tried to make an appointment at the first place she referred me to and they couldn't get me an appointment until 4/27!!!! I called Dr. Q back and got 2 more referrals - both in Chinatown. And wouldn't you know it, I was seen within the hour. Go Chinese!

Of course I was a little skeptical at how they could see me so quickly but (1) Dr. Q is always able to see me at the drop of a hat and (2) the lobby of the office was lined with NYMag best doctor awards - awesome! People in the lobby and on the television spoke loudly in Cantonese as I completed 3 forms - correcting the English in each one. I do the same thing on menus and really anything that has poor English.

I waited for less than 10 minutes and was taken inside for the mammogram. The technician was a young Asian woman who asked a lot of questions, put stickers on me and put me through the most painful exam ever. OMG. That was not fun at all.

From there, I went to the ultrasound room where the woman was like, "don't worry, I have those, too." I'm like, "What, nodules?" She meant breasts. The ultrasound was okay, if not messy.

And then I was done. Results will be sent to Dr. Q in 3-5 days. I hope this whole thing gets resolved quickly. I'm pretty sure it isn't cancer but am freaked out and scared. It makes me want to eat really healthy and take better care of myself. And I didn't cry except for when I listened to voicemails of people saying how everything is going to be okay and that they care.

No comments:

Post a Comment