Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lump - Chapter 8

Honestly, while my medical experiences have been relatively smooth, there's always been a bit of chaos, stress, confusion and sometimes downright nastiness. The team at Memorial Sloan-Kettering have been nothing but thoughtful, pleasant, efficient, and organized. They are better than a pit crew at NASCAR! The facilities are comfortable, clean and nice. There are lockers and cute seersucker robes! There are light snacks and beverages and INTERNET! I'm blogging from the waiting room!

I can't thank S enough for telling me about Dr. H and for calling her on my behalf. I received a phone call to confirm the appointment and another to pre-register. Although I arrived late this morning (again, I just can't get out of the house at a decent time), they were understanding and got me all the paperwork I needed to fill out right away. The registration person came out to get me in minutes and in another few minutes, my friend D (who so kindly came to the appointment with me) and I were meeting with Dr. H's nurse (who had the same name as my previous manager!) who asked some questions and walked us through some things.

Dr. H was unbelievably cheerful, went over everything and was so great. Dr. H thinks it is a fibroadenoma, which is what I thought it was (see Lump - Chapter 1). Dr. H even said, "You should work here!" There was no other nodule and the tissue is normally dense for thin women. They made an ultrasound appointment for me at 1:30 PM which allowed me to meet W for a super delicious lunch. The radiologist said that she saw the mass and recommended that I get it removed. After my ultrasound, I walked down the hall and saw Dr. H and the nurse again. They went over my options, explained everything, gave me paperwork, answered all my questions and whisked me back out to make my pre-surgical, surgery and follow-up appointments.

They were able to fit me in for pre-surgical this afternoon, the surgery for the day after Mother's Day so M could take me, and the follow-up for the day after little bro's graduation. Dr. H will call me with the pathology results 8 days after the removal (limited resection) so we know exactly what it is. I mean, could it be more convenient? Everything done in one day and everything else done when I'll be in Jersey anyway. I am totally impressed and am so glad to be able to trust my care to them. Much thanks to all who have been so supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment