Friday, July 25, 2008

Crema

I have a monthly dinner with an old workmate and friend I treasure - who else can rock a white skirt with pink bow and ruffles? We had to have a few moments of silence for these killer boots she used to have. On the way back from the last dinner at The House (really fantastic and such a cute place), we passed by Crema and Housing Works and said this had to be the next dinner (shopping first, of course).

I will start by admitting that I don't know much about Mexican cuisine. Like the person who only associates chicken and broccoli as Chinese food, I think of Mexican more as yummy snack food and variations on a theme of guacamole, salsa and tortillas. I've been to Pampano - another fancy Mexican restaurant in Midtown and felt the food was so-so - certainly nothing I craved. So, I wasn't super excited about the food but had so much fun walking there. From the 1/9 on 14th St., I passed by Loehmann's and Sacco (I used to house-sit on 16th St and "picking up things" on the way home nearly bankrupted me). I rounded the corner on 17th and was awestruck by the gorgeous Asian art outside the Rubin Museum of Art - who knew it was there? Then Housing Works which was thankfully closing at that very moment and Angel Street (another really enticing fancy thrift store). I barely made it with my wallet intact.
G noticed the super cute Crema "Dog Bar" outside - I just love a place that is dog friendly (but I would never let Petunia drink from a public bowl - who knows what people have poured into it!). We entered a bright, airy, beautiful space (even the bathrooms were pretty with seashells in the sink) and I longed for a moment to be seated outside on this gorgeous and finally low humidity evening under a beautiful white umbrella. Then, I remembered the skeeters.

We were just in time for restaurant week and they had me at "fried oysters" and "soft shelled crab." The crab was had a really nice cornmeal beer batter - what I use for my fried green tomatoes. G selected "De Huitlacoche corn masa turnovers filled with mexican black truffle, zucchini "fideos" grilled portobello goat cheese and chili paste." Oh, I miss goat cheese! The presentation was gorgeous and I liked the slow burn spiciness contrasted with a cool cream.

They even gave us a shot of basil margarita - yummy, bright and fresh as a shot. I think the sweetness would become cloying in a full size. We finished with a coconut flan - oh, fresh whipped cream! Lovely. Next stop: P*Ong.


www.cremarestaurante.com

No comments:

Post a Comment