Friday, July 25, 2008

My Food Allergy

M: For someone who likes to eat so much, I would expect you to have a stomach of steel.

Yeah, I don't. My post that said "I didn't get sick." Got sick. Past two dinners. Got sick. Boy, that Ethiopian sure cleans out a system! I heard in my WSJ podcast that doctors are treating some colicky babies for heartburn, gas or allergies to milk proteins. I was a colicky baby (bright red, arms stretched out screaming hell child) so maybe I've been allergic to dairy from the very beginning. I know that I had a certain reputation at Wellesley - coined by my girlfriend at the time and one that I shall not repeat. My poor best friend H was exposed to unfortunate incidences which she claims I did on purpose. I'm also mostly a pescetarian and they didn't make bean-o for no reason.

At first, I blamed the restaurants. Oh, that place is dirty. When I had crossed off all the restaurants in midtown and spent nearly each afternoon doubled over in pain, I realized, hey, it might be me. My dad was lactose intolerant and taking Lactaid. Mostly everyone except for Europeans have a certain degree of milk allergy. Maybe I should try not eating dairy and see how it goes. That, my friends, is close to impossible. EVERYTHING has dairy. Even things that you would not expect to have dairy, has dairy. It's a good thing that I love Asian food and found a vegan dark chocolate bar. Note: yogurt and cheese with 0 grams of Lactose also made me ill. And, thanks Z for pointing out that I need to take calcium supplements. I desperately miss a whole bunch of things: D's cheesecake, cream cheese, sour cream, whipped cream, Coach Farm goat cheese, manchego cheese, pizza, penne vodka - okay, all Italian, Indian, Ethiopian and French food, mashed potatos, spinach pie, quiche, sweet cheese danish, Chinese egg custard pastry, ice cream, Korean frozen yogurt, etc.

I hope minimize the discomfort by popping a Lactaid but it really does little. Some soy products are fantastic. Whole Soy & Co. Blueberry Soygurt - YES! Cheddar Soy Cheese - BARF! I've also found that I can't eat junk food, can't handle caffeine (2 cups of tea and I'm a manic mess) and really sugary things (busts my endocrine system and gives me canker sores). Don't worry, I will get sick for some things like the 10 layer crepe cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment