Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Snowboarding on the Brain

Lately, when I'm not dreaming about being at the beach, my mind turns to snowboarding. My parents came from Taiwan and one doesn't hit the slopes very often in a tropical island. I suffered through 4 brutal winters at Wellesley and now, now in my 30th year I discovered things like gore-tex, fleece, and base layers! Well, if I had known about such things previously, maybe I would've gone to more classes! All water under the bridge.

I've never enjoyed gym, team sports or working out. My head is a magnet for all objects in the air. I have been hit in the face from a volleyball I just set for my friend on the other side of the court. She attempted to spike the ball but it instead rolled along the bottom of the net back down to me and popped me in my face. At surf camp, I gave my 9 foot foam board a tug and it jabbed me in my throat (note, do not tug on the cord). I have enjoyed yoga and various classes at Crunch but E, B & C helped me discover my inner jock. They still haven't convinced me to pee outdoors. I started snowboarding the week after Thanksgiving in 2006 and it has bored a hole and permanently lodged itself into my brain, heart and soul. In addition to all new clothes and gear, I have a sport I can do.

My co-worker coached me on it for weeks to get me mentally ready, I read a book on it, studied websites, watched tricks on youtube and went on a shopping extravaganza - hey, you gotta look cute on the slopes. Finally, E took me to Windham for my first run and I've tried to go every weekend in the short northeast season since. E also found a hill just 20 minutes from my house where I can go for a 9-12 session for $20 and be home by 1 to do laundry. I had a weekly, 10 AM private lesson with a 17 year old (who thought I was 16!!!!) and just pushed through (I cried my first day at Windham riding the magic carpet). In spite of 2 bruised ribs, getting the wind knocked out of me several times, and few minor concussions, I can fly down a blue, pop an ollie, hit a manual, a butter and a ground 360. At Stowe, I kind of did a 50/50 slide on a box. Sometimes I ride with my brother and a 14 year old family friend and those guys really push me. Yeah, hey, black diamond, no problem.

I dream of the cold, crisp and fresh air, the feeling of flying down the slopes, the absolute pleasure of being able to do something that I couldn't do a few years ago, trying new trails and tricks, being out on the mountains among the trees...

Been there: Windham Mountain, Hunter, Mount Peter, Camp Gaw, Stowe, Ski Liberty, Camelback

Dreaming: Whistler, Mt. Hood (Oregon), Tahoe, Park City, Colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment