Monday, July 21, 2008

*Kang Suh

I grew up near two meccas of all things Korean. Starting in the two towns beside me, store signs have morphed from English to Korean. I've learned some key phrases: food, how to order food, "I'm hungry" and "stop it!" Actually, despite the fact that I cannot speak any other languages besides English and a smidge of Mandarin, I do make it a point to know how to order food. Well, I have been told that I have the accent of a Korean country bumpkin.

Although we are in the 'burbs, it is difficult to get a table at some of the fancy Korean BBQ joints. So, my family and I just head to this little family place where we get kalbi but without all the fixin's. With M in town and her quest for all Asian food, I asked a couple of my Korean friends for the best Korean BBQ and interestingly came up with Kang Suh. I say interestingly because I've been there before many years ago and it still retains its top seat.
Kang Suh didn't disappoint. We enjoyed a multitude of panchan (free Korean appetizers) - watercress salad (Yummers!), raw blue crab, pickled radish, kimchi, etc. I ordered comfort food - the crispy and chewy Hae mool Pajun (seafood scallion pancake), sol lang tang (slow simmered beef soup with thin noodles, brisket and scallions), and of course, kalbi (BBQ marinated short ribs). The extra special treats were the accompanying sanchu (lettuce), tienjiang (tangy fermented bean sauce), and scallion salad. You basically make a lettuce wrap of rice, a piece of kalbi, the sauce and scallion salad. Unbelievably tasty and a rare treat for me.

Kang Suh, 1250 BroadwayNew York, NY 10001-3701Phone: (212) 564-6845

No comments:

Post a Comment