Monday, July 21, 2008

*Sushi of Gari

My favorite fancy sushi place is Sushi of Gari. I've been to 2 out of 3 NY locations (UES, Times Square). My friend E - big foodie, who dated a chef from Nobu - introduced it to me.
1. Make a reservation via phone (they aren't on opentable). Unfortunately, the secret is out and without a reservation, the wait can be quite long.
2. The menu looks like it has the same stuff as other Japanese restaurants. Even the sushi menu is unremarkable. The key is the omakase (around $100). It is quite the treat to get one per person. M and I just got one and split each piece (somewhat messily). It is with the omakase that you get the fresh, beautiful and totally original and mind-blowing sushi that they are known for. You can request items you like - M wanted uni and abalone. She loved the fluke with salad and crispy lotus root. I always ask for the foie gras sushi and salmon and tomato sushi.
http://sushiofgari.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment