Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Do Rely on the Kindess of Neighbors

My pink eye and I were spending a lovely morning at home and when I opened the door to walk Petunia, I was welcomed with a winter wonderland. Or, if you are me, "oh, crap, that means I have to shovel." Petunia was not psyched about walking so she just ran to the backyard to do her thing and we hid out in the house to wait for it to stop snowing. Then I heard a gas engine and scraping. My saviour Mr. Gonzalez was blowing everyone's sidewalks and walkways. He then came back to shovel the stairway and porch. He has already done this many times this season for us and the other neighbors who live on spinster and elderly people lane.

I gave Mr. Gonzalez our last giant apple pear last week when he cleared our walk and today, I baked some chocolate chip cookies. I used the recipe from the back of the Toll House chocolate chip bag which said it made 5 dozen cookies. Seriously? Maybe 5 dozen cookies the size of pennies. I ended up with around 2 dozen cookies. I baked them on parchment paper so the bottoms were nice and golden. I wish the Gonzalez's were home when I delivered them so they can eat them while they were still warm but alas, no one answered the door and I left the cookies behind the screen.

From there, I walked to the hardware store to get pet friendly salt. Petunia's paw froze but I couldn't pick her up and carry her like I normally do because of the salt. Then, when I was kicking a can out of our driveway (people have been leaving trash - youths!), my legs slipped out from under me and I landed on my back. Good thing I was bundled up (2 down jackets) and used to falling (snowboarding).

No comments:

Post a Comment