Monday, October 27, 2008

Need my Sous-chef de Cuisine

I love to cook and M sweetly said I was a great cook but, I'm no good with knives. When I was 13 or so, in a matter of 2 weeks:
- 1 stitch in my wrist from cutting cardboard with a Swiss Army knife (sort of cooking related - trying to feed my rabbit)
- 9 stitches in my left index finger from cutting an apple in my hand. I finished baking the pie after I got back from the hospital. Note that this really is 18 stitches since they stitched it wrong the first time and I had to get it reopened, cleaned and restitched 2 weeks later. My first run in with the plastic surgeon.
- 9 stitches in my foot from getting it stuck on a nail (ok, not cooking related)

I break a dish nearly every time I wash dishes and cut my right middle finger last night without even being in the midst of cutting! I was washing dishes and the knife was in the sink and I was scrubbing the cutting board and jabbed my finger into the point of the knife. There was a lot of blood and I asked Doris to staple my finger back together but she looked at it, sniffed dismissively and said it was not that serious. But honestly, there was a lot of blood.

Having a finger injury is REALLY annoying. I keep forgetting about it and get it wet. I'm going through my stash of Hello Kitty bandaids really quickly. I need M, my gorgeous sous-chef de cuisine. Or, as she says, my "soup chef". She cuts everything for me perfectly (I've never seen such tiny diced shallots) and sets up a beautiful mise en place from which I can cook with less risk to injury. She also handles the meat, is the grill master and helps in every way. Love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment