Friday, October 3, 2008

Saved by SAAM

I got a medium Italian Wedding soup, turkey panini and fruit cup for my trip. I really like Italian Wedding soup but I had gotten sick from it before and got sick again. I got off the bus and walked right past Zara (I know, it's crazy that I didn't go inside) to find a place to just hold myself together, rest and hang out until the concert. Then, like a ray of light through the clouds, I saw Roy Lichtenstein's Modern Head rising from stone buildings.

I had arrived at the marble steps of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Smithsonian Museums are free. I was partly attracted by the treasures inside and the possibility of a clean bathroom. It was a haven for the body and soul.

I put my heavy bags in a locker with a quarter that they gave me! I had a nice clean bathroom and some water. Feeling revived, I climbed the stairs to the top (I like to work museums from the top to the bottom) and saw some amazing things:
- Bravo Exhibit: paintings, sculpture, multi-media pieces of great American artists (writers, composers, musicians, actors, etc.)
- A huge sculpture of a horse made out of what looks like driftwood but was listed as bronze on the plaque
- An incredible giant United States map made out of neon lights and television sets
- A few glances of the art inspired by hip hop exhibit. I was rushed out due to the museum closing but what I did see was amazing.

I was inspired and reminded of an art piece that I wanted to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment