Thursday, October 2, 2008

Work-out Icks

Working out is not for germaphobes (I carry Purell and wipes in my bag). While I love the cheap $15 day rate at City Climbers, I'm sure I've caught MRSA from the locker room or the holds. At NYU, I once saw a really sweaty guy (that my climbing friend was crushing on) leave a sweat angel on the stretching mats. My friend was not crushing on him after that. Especially since he didn't bother to wipe his sweat off the mats! And I obsessively read articles about wrestlers getting skin contact herpes. Other diseases from skin contact: “pink eye”, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) , shingles, Ebola, superficial fungal or yeast infections, abscesses, Anthrax (cutaneous), Athlete’s foot, cold sores, Coxsackievirus (hand-foot-mouth disease), Croup, Diphtheria (cutaneous), Impetigo, Lice, Ringworm, RSV, Scabies (http://www.doctorslounge.com/). Ew.

I love how gyms have sprays and paper towels available to wipe down machines and mats. I use a paper towel to hold onto the paper towel that I wipe the treadmill down with before and after I use it. I bought a travel yoga mat which is definitely lighter than a regular yoga mat and still has great grip. But it's hard to wash and it's a bit thin. Ouch on those shoulder stands. At S Factor, we use public cushy mats and I tried using my yoga mat over it but was slipping all over the place. I noticed 2 instructors use this skidless towel over the mats and I can't wait for it to come in the mail. http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=154230&catid=88120 I love drugstore.com. Free shipping above $50 (it is SOOO fast) and 5% back.

Oh, maybe I should get two in case one is in the laundry...

No comments:

Post a Comment