Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Japan and Back in 1 Hour

My hair had gotten to the point where I couldn't run my fingers to it. My hand would get stuck a couple of inches from the ends and I'd have to yank it through. The change in weather had also dried it (and my skin out). I needed help and with our schedule, wouldn't get a chance to see my normal hair stylist until 11/7. Plus, I wanted to look nice for our trip this weekend to Orlando to see M's grandmother, mom and brother.

Back when I had super short hair, I used to have 2 really great Japanese hair stylists - both in the Lower East Side. I remembered there was a Japanese salon half a block from my office called Hisako Salon (47th between Lex and Third). I made a lunchtime appointment for a cut and conditioning treatment. You could get your hair cut by a stylist, top stylist, or senior stylist with prices increasing accordingly. Since I had never gone there before, I let them pick one for me. Having a cut at lunch today was more important than with whom. Plus, I figured I had a high chance of getting someone good.

One thing this salon is known for is a shiatsu massage during your haircut. It was so nice. I nearly fell asleep and could get used to getting a little head massage at lunch. My stylist, Ikuko, was great. She had been at the salon for 8 years - 8 YEARS! Man, 8 years should get you to be a top stylist at least. She was very sweet, we chatted a bit and she did everything I asked for perfectly.


She was conscious of the time and had me out before the hour was up so that I could run to Cafe Zest next door and get a vegetarian bento box: brown rice with carrots and hijiki, edamame, eggplant, tomato, broccoli, shitake and bamboo shoot tempura, tofu veggie patty, hijiki salad, asparagus with sesame ginger sauce. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment