Monday, September 1, 2008

5 Spice Beef Stew

M gets an unhappy face the last day that I'm in town. As L has seen, it is quite sad. So, I like to leave her with some braised meat and a treat. Today I've packaged 3 cookies per baggie and a 5 Spice Beef Stew.

M likes Chinese 5 spice and beef. I thought I'd reach deep into my memory, into trips meandering Mott Street, into all the different beef noodle soups I've ever had and my mom's own unbelievably beef stew.

5 Spice Beef Stew
Sweat your aromatics over low heat in canola oil (garlic, onions, ginger). Take 5 spice powder and sprinkle over washed and dried beef (cubed beef for stew) - like a dry rub. Let sit. When aromatics are done sweating (onions are translucent), pop in the beef and brown. Then pour in 1 cup of beer, 1 cup of low sodium soy sauce, some more 5 spice powder, whole black pepper corns, red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper. I also added some baby portobello mushrooms, tomatoes and cubed potatoes. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve over rice or thick noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment