Monday, September 15, 2008

*Bar Q

One of my favorite ways to spend an evening is walking around in a favorite neighborhood on a cool fall night, seeing what's new and what's still around, checking out a new restaurant and being with really great people. It was my sweet W's birthday and I wanted to take her and her boyfriend T to a new place, Bar Q. T invited his roommate D and he happened to be dating a Wellesley girl I know! She is very cute, sweet and smart. I'm very happy for them. And to make it a further small world, D had gone to high school where I went for the NJ Scholar's Program. We actually know a few of the same people. D was great and is actually as obsessed with the Greyhound stabbing and beheading as I am!
The chef/ owner of Bar Q is Anita Lo, a really terrific Asian lesbian chef. "She was one of Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chefs in 2001 and went on to defeat Mario Batali on Iron Chef America in 2004. Crain's New York Business lists her as one of 100 Most Influential Women in NYC Business. " I had eaten at Annisa twice last year and while I loved the experience and the food, it was a bit on the pricey side. I'm also less of an entree girl and more tapas, family style so Bar Q is a great new addition to my beloved Bleeker St.

The service was cheery and helpful, interior was white, modern and comfortable. Another thing I like about Anita's restaurants is the low music. I know it makes me sound old but I like to yap and hear what others are saying. The table was "Mmmmm'g" all night. The Lobster with fresh rice noodle spring roll was amazing. The lobster was perfectly cooked, not chewy. It was really light and flavorful. I could've eaten 10 more. They enjoyed the pork belly with steamed buns and baby back ribs. The tea smoked Long Island duck was really good - many exclaimed the best duck they've ever had. I loved the sticky rice with Chinese sausage side (M would LOVE it) and the stir fried Chinese broccoli. Although I would've loved to have had the chilled coconut soup or almond panna cotta, they had dairy so I had a bite of W's birthday cake. It was a warm carrot ginger cake and sooooooo good. I LOVE warm cake. It was really wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment