Tuesday, September 2, 2008

System: Sinusitus/ Allergy

In college pictures taken during Thanksgiving and in the spring, I am accompanied by my tissue box. While it may have started earlier than that, I remember keeping my poor first year roommate awake with my coughing and having a non-stop runny nose. I was in pure misery and as I started working and seeing doctors more regularly (I have health insurance!), I was put on Claritin, Nasonex and antibiotics at least 3 times a year. Last year, I decided to just stay on Claritin.

Then I started hearing about nasal rinses but it was always too complicated. I was having a particularly terrible time (couldn't taste a thing from this terrific restaurant M took me to for a date) and M took me to the CVS and we saw these 2 kits. The NeilMed had premeasured packets, a squeezy bottle and you could use warm regular tap water. I started to use it twice a day and it was a miracle. It's not the most comfortable thing - like diving into the ocean without holding your nose closed but when you finally can breathe and smell and taste - you just look forward to it. I don't do it everyday anymore but the second I sense sniffles, I do a little rinse and I'm fine. I started a cough this weekend and gargled with it it - much better. Teachers across the country use it - children are chock full of germs. I haven't been sick since January and am so happy to be off medication.

www.drugstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment