Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Otorhinolaryngology: Part Deux

I had a lunch date with Dr. S. It was super easy to get to - just a couple of subway stops away and I got to walk down a street with yummy cheap ethnic eats. I hit up Vanessa's dumplings on the way back.

You may be asking yourself, "Why is she such a baby? Nothing is wrong with her!" Well, Doris treated a 17 year old boy who let his
sinusitis go untreated for a long time. He ended up with an abscess in his forehead that ate a hole into his skull and leaked fluid in his brain! Doris had to shave part of his head and drain the fluid.

Dr. S' office at the NY Ear and Eye Infirmary was really nice with tons of NY Magazine covers of the Top Doctors issues framed on the wall. The receptionist was a bit dyslexic, "May, MAY! You need to pay the copay!"

There was a minimal wait and I gave Dr.
S a quick run down. He said he was going to check to see if I was experiencing acute sinusitis or a sinusitis that never got really cleared up. He checked my ears, my throat, used these special tongs to hold open my nostrils while he peered in, put puffs of minty mist in my nose (turns out to be anesthesia)... and then inserted the scope! Whoa! I was not ready for that and sneezed on him a few times.

Good news, everything looks good, nothing abnormal, no need for CAT scan. Nose and vocal cords are a bit red. Keep on managing the allergy with Zyrtec,
Benedryl and nasal rinses. Come back in 6 weeks.

As a reward for being such a good patient, I got myself boiled chicken and mushroom dumplings, a veggie steamed bun, a pork and cabbage steamed bun and a hot and sour soup.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't drain or shave that boy...I just wrote a note! Things like that need to be done by surgeons.
    Yay! I knew I'd get you scoped one way or the other!

    ReplyDelete