Thursday, September 11, 2008

*Sushi of Gari

Yesterday was Doris' birthday so I made a reservation at Sushi of Gari on the Upper East Side thinking it would be easy for her to get there from the Bronx instead of the west side. She ended up going across the bridge and then back. Oh, well. I was waiting outside when I saw a white civic careen down the street and turn quickly into a parking garage. That's Doris, the stunt driver. Guess she gets it from my mom.

I've posted about Sushi of Gari before and learned a couple of new fabulous things this time around.
1. The kitchen food is really good. Really high quality and tasty. The fish broth with clams and scallions was unbelievable.
2. I really can't avoid deep fried and breaded food. The agedashi tofu and fried oysters were yum.
3. The omakase is now $30! I thought it looked smaller than before - I think there where maybe 15-20 pieces of sushi. Now, there are like 8 with a shrimp tempura roll. A really good amount and all the good pieces are there: fluke with crispy lotus root, tuna with tofu cream, salmon with tomato and foie gras.
4. If you tell them it's your birthday, they give you a piece of 20 layer crepe cream cake!!!!! Back when I used to have dairy, it was my most favorite cake.

The other great thing is that Crumbs is 3 avenues over so that's also an awesome dessert option.
Side note: there was a table behind us and the little girl (maybe 12?) was saying how she took the train, the dad was waiting for a few hours and then got arrested because he looked suspicious. So a policeman met the little girl and brought her to her mother. Then her mom yelled at the dad (I assume they are separated) on the phone for not making time to spend with his daughter this weekend. Yes, it is a small place and people are really loud. This other lady behind me was gaffawing all evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment