Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Cafeteria

I really like cafeterias. Even when I was in school and everyone made fun of the cafeteria, I secretly really liked it. I LOVED beefaroni, the soggy pizza, chicken tenders and fries, hot dogs and the salad bar. The food at Wellesley was really good. The best cafeteria I've ever been in was the cafeteria at the World Bank in DC. It was huge and had stations that represented cuisine from around the world. Chinese, Japanese, African, Italian, American, Greek - it was heaven.

I heart our cafeteria. Actually, we have 3 cafeterias within a 2 block radius and the one in the former Bear Stearns building is quite nice. I like the one next to my building. Sure, it's smaller but the food is really fresh and good. They have inventive salads and specials. I'm trying to practice good portion control so I use the the little food containers (they've switched to paper from Styrofoam - the paper sweats a little). And I know M has told me a thousand times about buffets (M: anything that requires something called a "sneezeguard" should not be eaten), but I feel like there are less contaminants at our cafeteria and the food itself is cleaner, higher quality. In the mornings, when I don't get breakfast from the healthfood store (multi-grain oatmeal and egg whites) I'll pick up a hash brown, some egg whites and a sausage patty (all under $3!). At lunch, I like the salad bar which has really yummy chicken, Indian buffet or Chinese buffet (around $5). The onion rings are also really good. And maybe I'm trying to get this all in before the end of summer but I get a container of watermelon, too (breakfast AND lunch). N gets a chicken wrap or a turkey burger with fries.

Note on trying to save the environment. I keep utensils at my desk that I wash every morning. Hopefully, that helps lessen my carbon footprint. I do feel bad about all the containers I throw away.

No comments:

Post a Comment