Friday, August 29, 2008

P*Ong: L, G2

It was so great to see my Stern girls last night: L, G and G's boyfriend G (hence G2). L actually works around the corner from me so she "picks me up" at my office. Even though dinner was at 7, I was starting to get antsy and she rescued me at around 5:45. We walked through the diamond district to look at sparkly things. I was ... bored. Everything looked the same, nothing different. Want to see something special? L's engagement ring is gorgeous, low-set, with a vintage leaf design. Stunning and totally unique. Her mom is a jeweler and L always has great pieces - last night a Satya lotus earring and necklace combo (http://www.satyajewelry.com/). At a previous Chinatown run, she got a beautiful gold leaf necklace. For my birthday last year, she gave me a Dogeared (http://www.dogeared.com/) gold chain with a little wishbone that I adore (and am wearing right now).

Good thing we left early because we got a bit lost. I wasn't quite paying attention - I get very distracted in the west village with people watching and stores and everywhere we turned there was a mob of NYU first years being led on a tour. Ai! Quick, cross the street! Finally, we found it - so not where I thought it was. The bakery arm of P*Ong called Batch was next door and we had to go in. It smelled SO good. Everything was beautiful - we almost had a nibble before dinner. I asked and there was a non-dairy rice pudding made with coconut milk (I used to make it myself and should try again). Yum! We went to shop a little more (passed a really cute little girl wearing a chicken hat!) but went back to just sit down and have a drink. She had a very interesting drink called the Vegetarian and I had an Electric Ice-T (which got me quite tanked - I'm a very cheap date).

G2 joined us seconds later. I hadn't seen G (boyfriend) in such a long time! G (girl) looked stunning as usual - she is a major style influence for me. Classic, beautiful, lady-like AND sexy - we've had many good times shopping. It was nice to have a boy in the mix. We talked about football and he reminded me that the Giants won the Superbowl last year. M likes the Redskins (doesn't "Go Skins" sound weird to you?) so I feel compelled to stand behind one of the only teams physically left in Jersey. Plus, the Giants are playing the Redskins on Thursday. M: if the Redskins lose, it'll be because they are overpowered by the stench from the Meadowlands.

The company outshone the food. The restaurant was strangely very quiet and empty for a Thursday night (perhaps they cater to a late night crowd?). My shrimp cerviche and short ribs were ok. Maybe I'm just not ordering the right food. The duck that I had wanted was not on the menu (it is online), they ran out of the arctic char, and the eggplant was salty. The bread they served as AMAZING - a beautiful fresh out of the oven focaccia with a thin crispy crust. I liked the fava bean salad that G2 had - it had a lovely sprinkle of sesame oil. We did enjoy the play between the sweet and the savory. The salt in the sorbet reminded G and I about this pound of unbelievable toffee we devoured back when financial firms used to get gift baskets for the holidays and I used to eat diary (http://www.enstrom.com/).

Perhaps it was a
collective change in taste. When discussing our next culinary adventure, everyone got excited about Jewel Bako and Back Forty. L's suggestion was a small place in the lower east side that served simple, fresh, locally-sourced comfort food. I think we're all looking for some comfort.

www.backfortynyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment