Friday, August 22, 2008

S-Factor: Level 1, Baby

It is hard to believe that 8 weeks have gone by - summer is almost over! Is that what happens when you get older? The days just hurtle past?

Last night I attended a make-up class with the Thu, 6 PM group and experienced the usual butterflies before attending new classes. What if they don't like me, what if everyone is already friends, what if I don't get what we're doing, what if I take someone's spot? It was fine. Two girls immediately introduced themselves to me and were so nice. The teacher was like Molly Shannon - HYSTERICAL. We were all just chatting and someone said they preferred male masseuses and the teacher was like, "I'm a massage therapist." Oh. See, that's interesting. Who are these people? What do they do when they aren't teaching women to swing around a pole? It's interesting for me to see what music they choose, what they say during class - it's this incredible window into their soul. And she said that in the class, she gets to learn about us, what we're feeling, what our bodies are saying and it takes her an hour or so after class to get us out of her head. When we're struggling, she's struggling and when we do well, she's elated.

And now the results. I am stronger, leaner, tighter and more flexible. My abs and arms have more definition. I feel sexy, powerful, confident and really good. I do have an annoying habit of checking out playgrounds and street signs for a good pole to swing around (and my friends have started looking out for me as well!). L wrote me that she thought of me while she was on the subway. Thanks, L!

I can do push ups and some crazy Pilates stuff. I have 3 spin tricks, 4 regular tricks, a strip routine and a lap dance routine. My style is pretty aggressive and wild with a lot of hair tossing. Coincidentally
, my dance song is also my fight song. Welcome to the Jungle.

Level 2 starts on Tuesday. We are going to get to climb up the pole and spin down. Bring it!

1 comment: