Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chicken Adobo Recipe

Chicken Adobo
(I felt it wasn't as good (but certainly healthier) as the one we had on Saturday but M likes the below version that I pieced together from 5 different online recipes. One of which called for 7-up! It reminds me of the soy sauce chicken or the 3 cups (san bei - 1 cup each of soy sauce, vinegar and water) chicken that my mom makes. You can also substitute the vinegar, onion, pepper, cloves and bay leaves for a 5 spice packet.)


  • Wash and dry chicken (we used wing drummettes and boneless thigh)
  • Sweat half a yellow onion, ginger, garlic
  • Saute chicken in the onion, ginger and garlic until golden brown
  • Pour in 1 cup of soy sauce (we used reduced sodium) and 1 cup of white vinegar, 3 bay leaves, 4-5 whole cloves and a tbsp of whole black peppercorns
  • Braise for 1 hour and serve over rice
This is the kind of dish that just gets better day by day. It's also easy to pack and heat up for lunch at work. I'm thinking we'll braise some kind of meat in a sauce for M every Sunday so that she has food for the week (or at least most of the week).

I made a little caprese salad (see "Home Cookin'") just because I saw some fresh mozzarella M would like. Cheese side for her, tomato side for me.

Update: Don't do this at home, kids. M, "i messed up. so this morning i noticed that the sauce in the chicken was running awfully low, so i thought i'd add some more. 1/2 cup of soy and 1/2 of vinegar and viola! I was thinking i was a genius! well, not so much now... since my food taste like it's been pickled! ...and i think it smells like feet, sour feet."

Update: M has saved the chicken by adding another half cup of soy sauce and simmering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment