Monday, August 4, 2008

Home Cookin'

Although I would love a career as a food critic, I have this food allergy problem and prefer fresh and simple minimally-processed foods. I like actually tasting the food and preparing it in a way that enhances it, not covers up the flavor. Honestly, I crave home cooking since I eat out pretty much all week. Another thing, I don't get sick.

My mom is an amazing cook. I've liked everything she's ever made except for bitter squash. She has some signature dishes which my sister has filmed her cooking but there's no written recipes and no measurements.

I love house parties and remember M & E's kale cerviche. V can make some bomb scallion pancakes and dumplings. Z's steaks. There are no words that can describe them. M is also a terrific cook - see her beautiful Vietnamese Beef Salad above. We have a lot of fun cooking together - especially breakfast. The girl can make some crispy bacon!

To her dismay, we inevitably end up at grocery stores a lot and a myriad of them (Chinese, Korean, Trader Joe's, Pathmark, Whole Foods, A&P). I rarely look up recipes and write stuff down and go to the grocery store. I like to have a few things in mind, go and look and feel and smell and find the freshest foods there and then decide what to have for a meal. M saw some Proscuitto and fresh mozzerella. So, we had Proscuitto and melon, insalata caprese, garlic crostini, grilled chicken and tomato rice.

Garlic Crostini
- Slice French baquette diagonally and brush with olive oil
- Toast until golden brown at 350 degrees F
- Cut a clove of raw garlic and scrape it against the bread. Watch it, bread is hot!

Insalata Caprese
Delicious when layered on top of the crostini (I eat it without the cheese)!
- Slice fresh mozzerella or Burrata and ripe plum tomatos
- Plate by alternating cheese, tomato and fresh basil
- Season with fresh black pepper, salt, olive oil and red wine vinegar (M and my sister don't like balsamic)

No comments:

Post a Comment