Wednesday, August 27, 2008

System: Make-Up

Again, Dana taught me everything I know. When she's not making the world beautiful one pore at a time, she's adding gorgeousness as a make-up artist that does everything from weddings to commercial. She was even on a wedding show - I'll have to find it and report back to you. She's such a superstar!

Pick a feature on your face that you want to emphasize. I have a big mouth so emphasizing that would be a bit much. Plus, I eat a lot so lipstick is a pain and lip gloss clogs my pores, gets caught in my hair, and I read, attracts the sun (cancer!). I just put an Alba SPF 18 balm and focus on my eyes.

Start with a clean face (see System: Skin Care). I use a Bobbi Brown Corrector for spots and then puff my face with Philosophy Super Natural. This was L's suggestion - she loves all things Philosophy. I like the idea of Bare Minerals because the binder that they use in compacts can clog pores. But, Bare Minerals is MESSY. Philosophy Super Natural is so easy and like an air brush in terms of coverage. Plus, it's concealer, foundation, powder and SPF all in one (buy extra sponges to replace and keep clean)! I cannot stress SPF enough. SPF EVERY DAY!

Curl your lashes (Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler) and then mascara (I only do my top lashes). Again, I have a really greasy face and for years did not find any mascara - even waterproof that didn't end up in a puddle underneath my eyes. I LOVE Blinc or Kanebo. These are 2 Japanese companies that make mascara that forms TUBES around your lashes. Like glue you used to play with in elementary school and peel off. This mascara peels off. No make-up remover needed, it just comes off with soap and water. Stays on all day through laughter and tears and sweat. They make eyeliner, too (I only do top lid from middle to outer). I get them autoshipped from drugstore.com.

Now the frames of your face - your eyebrows. Keep them neat and trimmed. Dana introduced me to Rubis tweezers and they are so sharp and great. I don't have a lot of eyebrows so I fill them in with Philosophy Brow Zings.

You can stop there or...

I use a Stila cream blush on the apples up and a dusting of Bobbi Brown shimmer brick (S introduced me to the Peony line) on my brows and cheeks. Bright, fresh and natural.

Wash your brushes often (a drop of shampoo and warm water is fine). Also, make-up expires so be sure to replace as appropriate. Let's avoid bacterial infections, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment