Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Menchanko Tei

I have been looking forward to dinner with C and S for quite some time. Firstly, we all went to Stern and I wanted to introduce C and E because they now both work at the same firm. S and I have dinner about every month and I wanted to hear how the new job was going. C and I spent 2 awesome weeks in Melbourne last year. C is a big foodie and takes pictures of all her food (that's where I get it from). We meet up occasionally but it was time to catch up. And was there big news! C's firm sent her to Hong Kong for 3 months last year and it looks like they might have created a role for her and she and her boyfriend will be moving there at the end of the year! I'm so excited and happy for her. I'm looking forward to visiting.

We must have cheap eats on the brain. I mean, I just want to go to a casual place and not have to stress. C was in the mood for ramen (Japanese noodle dish that originated in China) and picked the Menchanko Tei on 55th Street. Even though there's one right by my office, I was thrilled about this choice because it is right by Zara! I left work early just to do a little shopping (note: I was a good girl and didn't buy anything).

I eat a lot of Japanese food. I usually have it for lunch and if I stay late at work. It is super convenient and a healthier/ tastier option. I used to go to Menchanko for lunch a lot but I used to get sick (I don't think it is as clean as it's 55th St. cousin). I also used to frequent ONY in the West Village. It is a good quick meal. We ordered a bunch of apps (which isn't available for lunch): grilled Japanese squid, bite sized Japanese friend chicken and chilled tofu with ginger and bonito flakes. All very nice. I had my usual regular Menchanko hold the chicken, salmon ball and rice cake. Quite lovely for $25/person.

http://menchankotei.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment