Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Reverends




M and I are both ministers of the Universal Life Church (http://www.themonastery.org/). Internet! Free! There are only 2 tenants: to ensure for each of our ministers the absolute right of freedom to practice their religion in the manner of their choosing, and to encourage our ministers to do that which is right and in accord with their government’s laws.

A few years ago, I applied for ordination when my best friend H got engaged and asked me to officiate their wedding. It was a gorgeous hiking wedding with 3 dogs zipping around, rolling in mud and shaking mud all over us (my white suit no less). Yes, Petunia was there causing trouble. We stopped a few times for wedding poo. I had gone through some of H's early letters about Z as well as asked for wishes from family members. We talked about where they had come from, where they were and where they are going. The hike led us to a waterfall and that is where H and Z said their vows. It was a really beautiful way to celebrate this amazing love between H and Z.
M was ordained this year when her cousin asked her to officiate their wedding in September. M is an introvert so when she decides to say something, it is sincere, thoughtful and quite poetic. I read a draft of her sermon and it was so beautiful. I'm so lucky to be with this woman who has such an incredible mind, heart and soul. And well, is pretty hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment