Wednesday, August 27, 2008

System: Shoes

This will sound like heresy but truthfully, you only really need 6 pairs of shoes. I've come to this realization because despite a closet and attic full of shoes, I really only wear a few. I made a decision early on to: (1) wear flats (so all pants are hemmed for flats), (2) no brown in my wardrobe (so no brown shoes, belts, bags, etc.), (3) comfort AND cuteness.

I keep 2 pairs of shoes at work: a black and a bronze (metallics are great neutrals) pair of pointy toe JCrew flats with skinny buckles. They are simple enough to go with everything and have a little bit of detail to be interesting. Black pair for black outfits and bronze pair for lighter/ white outfits.

In the summers I wear Fit Flops everywhere (see Fit Flop) and in the fall/winter, my UGGs. I know, I know, L started it! We went to Short Hills and she got a pair and I HAD to have a pair that very day. I went home and started feverishly looking for a tall black pair - impossible to find! Then, at 9:45 PM, I found them at Campmor, called to reserve them, threw my sister in the car (D: A, you are crazy! you are so crazy!), and drove like Nascar to pick them up before the store closed at 10 PM. They changed my life. Never again will I have cold feet. I got the spray so they are also water resistant. And I think they are cute. I wear them all the time. D: It is spring, it is hot, you cannot wear your UGGs anymore. I admit, I wore them once to a party and nearly overheated to death.

For those of you who just cannot stand UGGs, I highly recommend any boots by La Canadienne or Aquatalia. Cute, comfortable (memory foam sole!), and waterproof. If I have to go without my UGGs, my Canadienne Lilis are hot enough to commute through a snowstorm, wear all day at work, and go out for drinks. And they won't get all messed up from salt and yuckiness. I like wearing them with fancy tights/ fishnets. Boots are a fall/ winter must but fit is really important. I can't stand pirate boots! Gar! I'm short with skinny legs so I have a very hard time. La Canadienne Lili has a shorter shaft at 13 inches (yes, SHAFT, there I said it). I like boots to hit right at the fattest, roundest, part of the calf and not over. Most boots are 15-16 inches which is practically over my knees (which is a good look for class but not everyday).

Sneakers, of course (I got fitted at Jack Rabbit Sports - not pronated baby!), and evening shoes. I have a "wedding dress" that I wear to all weddings and fancy occasions. I didn't know it when I bought it from a little boutique on Bleeker St. but it's the pink dress that was in "Mean Girls." I got these adorable patent leather peep toe flats with grosgrain bow from Barneys. Fantastic for all fancy events.

I will say, activity shoes throw a big wrench into this system. I have rock climbing shoes, snowboarding boots, water shoes (my very lesbian Tevas), stripping shoes, travel shoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment